[katello-devel] Design Question: Promotions of tempaltes

Todd Warner taw at redhat.com
Sat Aug 13 12:55:53 UTC 2011

On 08/13/2011 08:25 AM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> On 08/12/2011 05:34 PM, Todd Warner wrote:
>> On 08/12/2011 04:25 PM, Bryan Kearney wrote:
>>> Today.. in the cli we support changesets to which products, repos, or
>>> packages can be added. The changeset is then promoted.
>>>
>>> We also support a direct tempalte promotion:
>>>
>>> template promote --org ACME_Corporation --name Katello
>>>
>>> So.. a couple of questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Should all promotions be done via changesets? I think so.
>>>
>>> 2) Is the above cli acceptable as long as it creates the changeset,
>>> adds the templates, and promotes it? I will vote it is
>>>

>>> So.. the command line could have
>>>
>>> product promote
>>> package promote
>>> template promote
>>>
>>> as long as the data that is given is enough to create a valid change
>>> set (from env, to env, etc). All that is created and moved along.
>>>
>>> Does this weem valid?
>>>
>>> -- bk
>>
>> I agree. Then it becomes an "atomic" transaction that is traceable as a
>> unit.
>>
>> Followon question...
>>
>> Where do these come in?
>> - RHSA promote
>> - CVE promote
>> - IAVA promote (though I know we haven't talked about IAVAs much/enough)
>>
>> -todd
> Are all these "errata"?
>
> -- bk

Yes and no. CVEs and IAVAs, I believe, are meta-errata. I.e., I think
they can reference packages, RHSAs, and CVEs. I.e., errata of errata.
Cliff and crew have a very firm grasp of CVEs at this point. IAVAs need
to be researched more thorough. IAVAs are less familiar to me, but are
heavily used by the US Government.

Addressing errata by CVEs is a must by the way. *Many* of our customers
deploy according to CVEs versus RHSAs.

-todd