[katello-devel] Non-ar search discussion

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 17:50:39 UTC 2011

On 12/08/2011 12:42 PM, Eric Helms wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 12:21 PM, Jason Rist wrote:
>> On Thu 08 Dec 2011 10:01:10 AM MST, Justin Sherrill wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've been tasked with looking into a mechanism to do non-ar search.
>>> While amos had leaned towards a search proxy, I'm more inclined to
>>> utilize a full text search server.  I've put some of the pros/cons
>>> here:
>>>
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/KatelloSearchRevamp
>>>
>>> Along with a list of things that need to be searched.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Comments?
>>>
>>> -Justin

>> Huge +1 on full text server.  This is territory where lots of things
>> have been done and should be relatively straight forward.
>>
>> -J
>>
> +1 to robust solutions where people have already solved this problem
> and combine both backend service searching and Katello model searching
> into a single interface.
>
> Are there any performance / resource tradeoffs between the two
> methods? (e.g. setup cost, more/less memory usage, dependencies)
>
> Would the indexing delay only affect the availability of searching up
> to date data or have an overall performance impact on the app?

I'm not sure that the setup cost would be any more for either method.
The fulltext search would most likely use more memory, have more
dependencies (depending on a number of factors).  and require more disk
space.  None of these things are deal breakers though, especially given
the advantages.

The indexing delay should not have much effect on performance just a
'lag' on being able to search for a new or updated item. Also, as i said
in the wiki, I think the only noticeable delay would be when a repo is
synced and we try to re-index the packages and errata.  Generally any
update or create would be handled in the background as the create or
update occurs.  So generally before the user would be able to search for
the updated item, it would be updated.