[katello-devel] Unable to set quantity in the activation keys subscriptions

Brad Buckingham bbuckingham at redhat.com
Fri Dec 16 15:16:00 UTC 2011

On 12/16/2011 09:31 AM, Jason Rist wrote:
> On 12/16/2011 05:43 AM, Ivan Nečas wrote:
>> If I recall it correctly, (correct me, if I'm wrong) when subscribing
>> directly (without activation keys), CP can figure out how many
>> subscriptions the system needs (from number of socekts etc.).
>>
>> When using activation keys, we duplicate this functionality, and so we
>> need to implement this logic (or get that info from CP?) into Katello as
>> well. Therefore the number of allocations is not valid any more I think
>> and it should go away.
>>
>> -- Ivan
>>
>> On 12/16/2011 11:10 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> today I wanted to set quantity in the activation keys screen for a
>>> subscriptions and I was not able to.
>>>
>>> I know there was some refactoring. But we still have an "allocated"
>>> column in the database. How do I set it? How is this expected to work
>>> during activation key registration?
>>>
>>> I think Bryan mentioned to consume number of processors (from the
>>> facts). Should we get rid of this column then?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>

> Yes, we removed it from the UI for the above reasons.
>
> -J

Jason is correct.  It was removed from the UI a few sprints ago based on
discussion that indicated that assigning a quantity in the UI was not
very useful and that the better approach was to allow auto-subscribing
to allocate the proper number during system at registration.  At the
time, we did not remove the column from the DB as there were references
to it in backend and the plan was for it to be removed when backend/cli
changes were made to support the auto-subscribe.  It seems that now is
that time. :)

thanks,
Brad