[katello-devel] search over rest api - interface design

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 07:53:56 UTC 2011

On 07/18/2011 03:28 AM, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Lucene vs. scoped search
> -------------------------
> I am not really going to compere them because it's a bit like comparing
> oranges to apples.
> I am just going to write a short description of scoped search and try to
> point what use case will each fit.
>
> scoped_search is not an indexer, it's also not a data store. It's a
> light weight query parser, auto-completer and SQL query builder.
> It enables feature rich search box in the GUI and a powerful API, on top
> of any RDBMS, no schema change is needed.
> scoped search on top of RDBMS can easily handle structured data, it
> returns updated data as soon as it's stored in the database.
> No scoring, no ranking, just a simple "order by" clause in the SQL. It
> will scale as much as the underline database does.

Amos, thanks for explanation.

I was not aware of all the scoped_search features. I just wanted to
bring fulltext engine(s) into account. Basically you say scoped_search
is a query builder - this is really different task than what fulltext
can provide.

On the other hand with fulltext one dont need to build any queries at
all. One just input your text and it will just find it. No queries, no
parsing. And still with ability to auto-completion or feature rich
features like column definition or range search.

So yes - these are two different things, but solving the same problem.

Without having much details about scoped_search I thought it would be an
option when you were describing pretty tough integration with backend
engines if the indexing latency is not an issue. In addition to that I
think Katello will need fulltext in future, because Satellite has the
feature of searching through packages, files and descriptions.

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno