[katello-devel] Precompilation changes in katello.spec

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 12:06:26 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have slightly changed our spec file. It has few build requires now,
but it precompiles our CSS files and assets using compass and jammit tools:

%build
echo Compiling SASS files...
compass compile

echo Generating Rails assets...
jammit

There is no need of symlinks to /var/lib/katello for
public/javascripts/compiled and public/assets directories. From now on
Rails server should not compile any assets. That should mean no
permission errors anymore.

I also disabled runtime compilation of CSS files in the configuration,
because we will always distribute up-to-date files. In production.rb
there is:

Sass::Plugin.options[:never_update] = true

line there.

Now I also recommend to drop support of development mode running from
RPM. Since production and development modes are so different thank to
asset deployment, we should only support production mode and tell users
how to increase logging in the production mode if they want to. It could
be done by adding line to production.rb file here:

   config.log_level = :debug

In the RPM we install this in the /etc/katello/environment.rb as a
standard config file and symlink this.

I there are no objections I will remove the environment setting from the
sysconfig.

Please note due to bug in rack 1.1.0 the katello service is not working.
The only way to start it until we fix this is:

# cd /usr/lib/katello
# su - katello -s /bin/bash -c "rails s -e production -p 3000"

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno