[katello-devel] Katello 0.1.54-1 fixing the startup issue

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 07:36:46 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 06:11 PM, Jeff Weiss wrote:
> Not sure if you are aware of this, but bash has a builtin called
> "disown" which I think works better than nohup.  In a script you can do
>
> myprog&
> disown %%
>
> (the %% i think means the last job that was started)
>
> That will prevent myprog from being killed when the script exits.

Frankly I was using nohup program my whole life. So it looks like disown
works the same, except it does not store output in a file. Plus its a
builtin - no need of external command from coreutils.

There is one advantage of disown - it seems it does not consume SIGHUP,
it just tells bash not to send it on exit. Therefore one could send
SIGHUPs to the rails to reload the configuration. Not sure if it support it.

Never heard of it. Thanks.

For others (from the bash man page):

disown [-ar] [-h] [jobspec ...]

Without options, each jobspec is removed from the table of active jobs.
If the -h option is given, each jobspec is not removed from the table,
but is marked so that SIGHUP is not sent to the job if the shell
receives a SIGHUP. If no jobspec is present, and neither the -a nor the
-r option is supplied, the current job is used. If no jobspec is
supplied, the -a option means to remove or mark all jobs; the -r option
without a jobspec argument restricts operation to running jobs. The
return value is 0 unless a jobspec does not specify a valid job.

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno