[katello-devel] provider URL: reverted a few changes

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Thu May 19 17:39:08 UTC 2011

Lukas:

I had to revert some of your changes that removed provider URL from the
validations, the seeds and other parts of the code.  I loath reverting
code and apologize undoing some of your work but by removing the URL and
the validations you broke the UI and any ability to:

1) import a manifest correctly
2) have the import setup repos correctly so they can sync
3) create a new red hat provider and import manifests

The changes I reverted are below and again, I wouldn't have done this
normally but it broke a pretty big piece of functionality in the UI such
that I think we need to step back and refactor the URLs and Providers
before we go forward with their removal.

We have to have a URL associated with a Red Hat provider and *not* with
Custom Providers.  The URL in a Red Hat provider is the base URL that
all the relative paths in the import manifest are based on.  If you look
at a manifest's JSON you will see:

"contentUrl":"/content/dist/rhel/rhui/server/5Server/x86_64/rhui/1.2/os/"

we take the URL from the Red Hat provider and combine that with the
contentUrl to produce the full path to Pulp to sync the content:

"url":"https://some-redhat-provider.redhat.com/pulp/repos//content/dist/rhel/rhui/server/5Server/x86_64/rhui/1.2/os/"

by removing the URL from the Red Hat provider removed that linkage and
nothing could sync.

If we want to remove the actual URL from the UI and not require it from
the CLI (which we can possibly do) we would need to include it as a
configurable value that is embedded with each provider but it definitely
still needs to exist in the model.

commit 51ab9c610574564662face6c27d699c58f3fb1b3
Author: Mike McCune <mmccune at redhat.com>

     Revert "fixing seeds file to not use a url for a redhat provider"

commit 87d95fea34d3b553894b5711e4e6074c9069ec20
Author: Mike McCune <mmccune at redhat.com>

     Revert "fixing unit tests for new provider url validation"

commit 50631337d67312204d37468dbe13f40263a77c21
Author: Mike McCune <mmccune at redhat.com>

     Revert "disabling url format check - not working for client shell"

commit a5dfe25f2b7e75a47fd62a945733eb7e85d352d5
Author: Mike McCune <mmccune at redhat.com>

     Revert "provider url is required for yum and prohibited for rhn in
the CLI"

commit a464193ea0e4108e06d16ee5e467df6a1ae79d3f
Author: Mike McCune <mmccune at redhat.com>

     Revert "provider url is required for yum and prohibited for rhn"

Mike
--
Mike McCune
mmccune AT redhat.com