[katello-devel] Fwd: Proposal for sharing IDS (and other data) between Aeolus and Katello

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 18:35:45 UTC 2011

FYI

-- bk

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Proposal for sharing IDS (and other data) between Aeolus and
Katello
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2011 14:32:29 -0400
From: Bryan Kearney <bkearney at redhat.com>
To: aeolus-devel at lists.fedorahosted.org, Todd Sanders
<tsanders at redhat.com>,        James Bowes <jbowes at redhat.com>, "John R.
Dunning" <jrd at redhat.com>

Katello is getting requirements which require that we know if a given
system is being managed by Aeolus. Katello will already have an in
system agent that can collect facts. It seems like this is a valid way
to get one data store with the IDS from both systems in it. Once we have
that.. Bob's your uncle.

My propasl is this. During Boot time, audrey will drop the instance UUID
and any other data into

/etc/sysconfig/aeolus/facts

data stored in facts should be key/value where the filename is the key,
and the body of the file is the value. Therefore, the instance UUID
would be stored in:

/etc/sysconfig/aeolus/facts/instance_uuid

if the image uuid is also known, it could be dropped into:

/etc/sysconfig/aeolus/facts/image_uuid

Katello's agent (susbcription-manager) will look for files and record
them as facts:

aeolus_instance_uuid = XYZ
aeolus_image_uuid = PDQ

The absence of the files would be an indicator that this machine is not
managed by aeolus.

Seem ok?

-- bk