[katello-devel] APIs we need from Pulp (or candlepin)

Jay Dobies jason.dobies at redhat.com
Wed Oct 26 12:50:37 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 05:46 PM, Mike McCune wrote:
> The Pulp team is kicking off a new sprint next week and wants to know
> what APIs they can add to help speed up access to Pulp's data. Ideas
> include:
>
> * bulk status call to get repo sync status for a set of repos vs having
> to fetch it for each individual repo
> * bulk delete?
> * bulk create?
>
> Are there other things people have been wanting from Pulp to make
> Katello faster and more efficient?
>
> Mike

I'm not sure I like the idea of a bulk delete/create, at least not in
the current architecture*

Delete is a potentially intensive command as it cleans up orphaned
packages.

Create will potentially run into data validation issues, so if you made
one bad ID out of 10, we'd need to do some sort of partial error support
which we're not entirely decided on how we want to handle it.

Both are possible, but not critical IMO. When I asked about bulk
operations I was more thinking data retrieval to be able to get the
answer you want in a minimum number of server round trips.

* In the future I want to see these put through the tasking subsystem
which would make their potentially resource-intensive aspects less of an
issue.

--
Jay Dobies
RHCE# 805008743336126