[katello-devel] System template design

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Fri Sep 9 00:13:12 UTC 2011

On 09/08/2011 09:21 AM, Tomas Strachota wrote:
> Hi,
> I've put together all latest system template requirements and need of
> partial content updates and created new design wikipage:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/SystemTemplatesProposal
>
> For the content updates:
> I decided to go the way that Lukas brought up - dedicated routes for
> each content type. Eg.
>
> POST /templates/1/products/
> DELETE /templates/1/products/123456/
>
> Details on the wikipage, please comment.
>

> Questions that came up during summing it all up:
> - Should packages in tpls be tied to products (like in changesets) or
> can they really be in any product in the template?
> - Templates can inherit from parents. Upon promotion, should the parent
> template(s) also be promoted automatically with them?
>
> Thanks,

You mention this:

Only promote a product if it is a part of the template and is NOT in the
next environment. To force product synchronization, users can add the
product manually to the changeset.

Would folks be fine with making template promotion stupid, and say that
you always have to add a product? Cons: The customer would get in an
issue if they promote the template the first time and do not promote the
product. Pros: Consistent User Experience about when products are promoted.

-- bk