[katello-devel] übercerts

Dmitri Dolguikh dmitri at redhat.com
Fri Sep 9 12:22:03 UTC 2011

I ran into an issue with how content path is being created in
entitlement certificates generated by candlepin when working on übercert
functionality. Übercert is an entitlement certificate that has a single
piece of content with the url of "/owner_name_goes_here" (this would
grant access to all urls below the one specified).

During entitlement certificate generation candlepin prefixes all content
urls with owner-specific prefix (/owner_name/$env in general case). One
way to handle this situation would be to move all übercert-related logic
to candlepin (internal candlepin api allows to bypass prefix addition
during cert generation). This would also have a benefit (imo) of
bypassing async cert regeneration, since in this particular case it
would be a bit of an overkill.

Another approach would be for katello to create content with url in some
specific form (one suggestion was to use '//' at the start of the url,
e.g. "//ACME_Corporation"), and bypass prefix addition for such urls on
candlepin side.

I'm not a big fan of #2. Thoughts/opinions?

Cheers,
-d