[katello-devel] PATCH: katello-repos for distributing the .repo files

Ohad Levy ohadlevy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 07:10:33 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 01:52:50AM -0400, Ohad Levy wrote:
| >
| > 1. the repos in puppet need to match the one we provide, otherwise
| > puppet would change them (even if the repo url is the same, other
| > things such as name etc).
|
| The intended goal is to run the puppet only after all software has
| been installed, and skip any .repo manipulation and software
| installation when the /usr/sbin/katello-configure approach is used.
|
| That was the next thing I was gonna ask you about -- how do we
| restructure the puppet modules to make that possible (while keeping
| the .repo modifying and installation pieces there invocable by people
| who need them)?

I guess we just need to make sure there is a match between the rpm and the manifest.

| > 2. currently, we trigger the katello database migration when the
| > katello package is installed, if you install it upfront, it won't
| > migrate the db, I guess we need to consider another way of detecting
| > when a schema change is required.
|
| Right.

We can probably test for mtime of the migration directory vs a lock file, but this is just a work around.
I'm guessing we should allow users to decide where would their db is running, and if they will be running the migrations / seed manually.

How much time do we gain by installing all packages in one go and then running the installer vs. getting an installer rpm which installs the other packages?

What about scenario where katello subsystems would run on different hosts?

Thanks,
Ohad