[katello-devel] Simple cli test -> system test

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 08:23:58 UTC 2011

On 09/20/2011 02:29 AM, corey welton wrote:
> It is lightweight, yes. But it's something i put together real quick
> as a prototype, and I've found it useful for running through 10+ cases
> at a time. I'm sure it can do more than that, but I haven't tried.
> And I'm always open to suggestions.

Yeah, I think it is ideal for testing simple cases right now. In Katello
system test we need to capture output sometimes, store it in a variable
(like REPO_ID) and use it later.

Would be nice to support some kind of automatic recipe recording. Then
it would be easy-peasy to create a test suite. Variable storing should
not be hard to add. The tool should also check exit codes along with the
stdout. And maybe the tool could return number of failed tests on exit
(not sure if it does it).

But I am not the one choosing right QA tools ;-) We (devs) just have
some bash code to test our cli. I am not sure how our QAs are going to
test it, but its definitely a good starting point for them.

  Lukas Zapletal | E32E400A
  RHN Satellite Engineering
  Red Hat Czech s.r.o. Brno