[katello-devel] A couple of community-related questions

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 08:39:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 01:16:33PM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> >There has been several approaches discussed this year on the fedora ruby
> >sig mailing list.
> >
> >Katello took the simplest approach - to delete Gemfile.lock every start,
> >bundler just creates new from existing (local) system gems.
> That's not a great approach. You just removed specific versions of
> gems for deployment. Not everybody deploys using rpms (I, for one,
> don't).

I think I did not elaborate this much. We do delete the lock file, but
on the installer system (Fedora, RHEL). Not in the git. We do not
"remove specific versions of gems", simply because they are all already
installed by RPM.

> Let's face it - rpms and bundler-based deployments are two very
> different use cases, and we *have to* support both.

And I am not saying let's throw away bundler. We need to deal with it.
Right now we have our own "simple" solution. If you want to go and try
to turn this over to Aeolus approach, why not. Different solution to the
same problem, but it worths making that Aeolus library a gem or
dependency (RPM as well of course :-)

Third piece in the party is Foreman. What are the plans in this case
Ohad?

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine