[katello-devel] Proposal: Breaking up Codebase

Ohad Levy ohadlevy at redhat.com
Sat Aug 4 18:29:46 UTC 2012

On 08/04/2012 04:58 AM, Eric Helms wrote:
> Prior to using Github for source control management, the project had one logical repository available that made sense for keeping the various components of Katello contained within.  As the project has grown, and as our community efforts increase I propose we break out code base elements from our mainline repository for the following reasons:
>
> 1) Reduces the overall size of the project repository.
> 2) Provides smaller, logical components that users and developers can work from and on.  This makes it easier for the community to contribute as they can work on components that are important to them, that they are more comfortable working on and are smaller (a.k.a less imposing due to size).
> 3) Decreases "tag-mania" on the mainline repository and lets the tags and the packages they are associated with live on their own.  Provides direct connection between package and repository (e.g. katello-cli.rpm is derived from katello-cli git repository)
> 4) Some components just have no logical reason to be contained within the same repository.  (e.g. I don't need the CLI code to run and work on Katello)
> 5) The Github Organization concept with multiple repositories makes it easy to manage multiple applications and pull requests associated with each.
>

> Components I currently see that could be stand-alone repositories:
>
> cli/
> agent/
> certs-tools/
> puppet/
> repos/
> src/ (a.k.a Katello)
>

> To quote Jordan: DISCUSS

+1
I think its easier (at least in github) to offer different repo
permissions, makes it easier to browse and see progress of each compontent.

thanks exactly how we work in foreman community [1] and it seems like it
made it easier for people to contribute (e.g. for the installer etc).

Ohad

[1] - https://github.com/theforeman