[katello-devel] Renaming of environments: summary

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 11:42:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:27:52PM +0100, Dmitri Dolguikh wrote:
> My understanding is that this only applies to urls, not
> yum-metadata. See my example in reply to Mike's email.

What we need to deal with:

- name of the repo file
- repository name (the thing between brackets)
- fancy repository name (name=xyz)
- URL

That means we somehow need a label. We are currently stripping out all
non-ASCII characters in our codebase. So we already "generate" labels on
our own. Therefore its logical to discuss this while we are discussing
introduction of labels. That's the same thing.

> Forcing ascii-only characters for user-input in a field that
> supposed to help users keep track of their stuff in an otherwise
> localized application, is a terrible, terrible choice (if not a slap
> in user's face). The bottom line for me is if " *You can't please
> everyone so aim to displease everyone equally*".

What we recommend would be pretty seamless and automatic. Labels would
be pre-defined from (UNICODE) resource names. No need to worry about
usability, users could totally ignore label field if they are happy with
the value. But those who do not use latin character set would be more
than happy to define their own labels to customize (horribly generated)
URLs in these cases.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine