[katello-devel] Deployable and System Template Portability

James Labocki jlabocki at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:12:51 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

I'd like to see both these models supported in the future, is this the thinking behind using host groups or will it only support one of the scenarios?

Description + Host Group  ==> Build ==> Configured Image  ==> Push to Provider
Configured Image at Provider ==> Launch ==> Connect back to Katello and make further changes to Host Group

OR

Description ==> Build ==> Unconfigured Image ==> Push to Provider
Unconfigured Image at Provider ==> Launch ==> Connect back to Katello and make all changes based on Host Group

> >> We found the following areas differ between implementations and
> >> would need to be accounted for. Note this this was not an
> >> exhaustive exercise and I'm sure we missed some areas.
> >>
> >> - Providers paths are different in katello
> >> - Certificates are different in system templates
> >> - Repositories are different in system templates
> >> - Deployables and their services are tightly coupled (not
> >> shareable)
> >> - Clouds, Cloud Resource Zones, and Catalogs are different in
> >> aeolus
> >>

> Can you give examples of these issues? I would assume the TDL we are
> generating is valid.

>From reply to Ivan earlier plus more information.

Customer A installs katello and creates Custom ProviderX with ProductY and RepoZ
Customer B installs katello and creates Custom ProviderA with ProductB and RepoC

Customer A creates system template which references RepoZ, hands system template to Customer B.
Customer B takes system template and imports it into his/her aeolus. The custom provider is does not exist in his system engine (assuming he changes the path the system engine host in the template) and the certs don't match.

On the Aeolus side:

Image ID's don't match in the application blueprint that Customer A would share with Customer B which would contain the multiple images that make up an application. Also, services in the application blueprint will likely call environment specific variables which are not abstracted from the service.