[katello-devel] Renaming of environments: summary

jesus m. rodriguez jesusr at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:25:16 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 07:07 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:13:32PM -0700, Michael McCune wrote:
>> I'd much rather do the following to ensure our yum config values on
>> the clients are readable and sacrifice i18n in order to do so:
>>
>> 1) use an ASCII label for reops if we are going to really implement
>> repo renaming
>> 2) force Org (possibly), Env and Repo names to be ASCII
>> 3) Any existing utf-8 data for these values is left alone and users
>> are warned we do not support this, or we encode it in some way such
>> that it works
>>
>> Is renaming environments really worth all this effort?  If so, lets
>> not sacrifice our usability at the client level just to support it.
>>

> +1
>
> I would not say Cliff's recommendation was defeated by UTF-8. The key
> for labels is to use ASCII there. Being Czech, I very often see websites
> "fixing" my content name into ASCII labels and using them in URLs. Some
> websites do this better automatically, some are worse. But the idea
> remains the same.
>
> Example for "žluťoučký kůň".
>
> Good translation: "zlutoucky kun".
>
> Bad one: "?lu?ou?k? k??" or "luouk-k" or variations :-)
>
> Unfortunately this can be applied only for characters with UNICODE
> normal forms. For example, Chinese can't be translated that easy way and
> user would need to put his alphanum label on his own. Penalty for
> renaming feature? No, even Chinese admins would like to have nice yum
> URLs and repo names.

I agree that the labels are still a better approach. Environment names
should be UTF-8 and handle double byte characters, but the labels can be
alphanumeric ASCII. I don't see anything wrong with that.

And it will help with the repo files, urls, and other places we need human
readable id.

Again, if renaming environments causes pain, then add support for copy /
delete of environments. That is effectively what a rename is anyway.

jesus

jesus m. rodriguez          | jesusr at redhat.com
principal software engineer | irc: zeus
red hat systems management  | 919.754.4413 (w)
rhce # 805008586930012      | 919.623.0080 (c)
|   "Those who cannot remember the past       |
|    are condemned to repeat it."             |
|                        -- George Santayana  |