[katello-devel] Experience contributing a new feature as a user

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 08:50:00 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 05:27 PM, Og Maciel wrote:
> My point for this email is not to blame anyone but to ask the following question: how can we make it easier for people to contribute to katello without having to jump through endless hoops???

This is exactly the reason, why you should use native packaging system -
in our case rpm.
Where all this requirements (including gcc) are addressed.

I know that we do not have developers dependencies packaged yet (we just
finished with run time). But you can help us.
You can package it and submit to Fedora for review. Or you can build it
in our Koji and put in comps file in katello-server-devel group.
While the Fedora Review is long term goal, building in Koji is fast. And
you should be able at the end to do:
  yum groupinstall 'Katello Server Development'
and have all developer dependencies installed.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering