[katello-devel] Renaming of environments: summary

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 11:27:30 UTC 2012

On 08/14/2012 02:41 PM, Justin Sherrill wrote:

> I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong)  that the only
> thing that can contain non-ascii characters is the name

Even hostname - and therefore url can contain UTF-8 character. I have
one such machine:

# host žufuřík.lab.eng.brq.redhat.com
žufuřík.lab.eng.brq.redhat.com has address XXXX-masked
žufuřík.lab.eng.brq.redhat.com has IPv6 address XXXXXX-masked

For more info see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internationalized_domain_name

Such names are encoded in Punycode:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

And žufuřík.lab.eng.brq.redhat.com should be translated by application to:
   xn--ufuk-xpa16d5h.lab.eng.brq.redhat.com

Ascii only names are are identical in Punycode. You can test it here:
   http://www.charset.org/punycode.php

Punycode is standard and widely used. Libraries for every language
available.
Why not use Punycode for repository names as well?

BTW, do we support IDN domains in Katello? I'm afraid that the answer is
negative. Can someone test it?

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Systems Management Engineering