[katello-devel] Experience contributing a new feature as a user

Og Maciel omaciel at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 13:37:37 UTC 2012

Hey Ivan, thanks for the reply. I am actually running Fedora (and RHEL 6.3) and have tried a mix of yum and gem install commands to get to a point where I can try to run a simple rspec test... Though having a script that does what you mentioned, which is, turn a katello system that was installed and configured into a devel environment would help me right now, imvho it does not solve what may be the bigger issue here: why do I need to install the application in order to run a test? In the rails world all you need is a test db as you don't actually want to touch the real db.

Also, why can't we just use bundle install like most rails apps? Sure, you don't have to get all the other moving parts with this command, such as pulp, candlepin, etc, but at least get enough dependencies so that one can run tests against it?

As a contributing user I'd like to checkout the source code, run bundle install, and be able to write and run rpsec tests :)
--
Og Maciel

Senior QA Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.