[katello-devel] Non-RHEL clients and bootstrapping

Ewoud Kohl van Wijngaarden ewoud+katello at kohlvanwijngaarden.nl
Tue Aug 21 08:24:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 09:12:17AM +0200, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 07:48:21AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> > On 08/20/2012 06:24 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> > >Hello,
> > >
> > >on the user list there is a report from Scientific Linux. The bootstrap
> > >RPM cannot configure rhsm, I guess its because there is none on his
> > >system.
> > >
> > >So to support RHEL clones, we need to ask users to install both rhsm and
> > >katello client. We have not been telling this in our client installation
> > >wiki page, so I did this (quite a huge) change:
> > >
> > >https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/GuideSystemRegistrationClient
> > >
> > >https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/GuideSystemRegistrationClient?action=diff&version=27&old_version=26
> > >
> > >Please test.
> > >
> > >I will also add a test in the post RPM script - if one of the components
> > >is not found, warning will be issued (currently it exits with error
> > >only).
> > >
> > >LZ
> > >
> > Should the configrpm require subscription-manager?
>
> No cos we do not deliver it and for RHEL clones this would give you
> error during install (unless there is a repo).

Why shouldn't it depend on it? The product does not work without
subscription-manager and an error is imho a more user friendly. I'm a
user and I would want my warning signs early on and it can't come
earlier than the package manager. In fact, it's something that you also
have to solve on the package manager level by adding a repository.