[katello-devel] Bundler vs rpm-gems - in more detail

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Fri Aug 24 14:26:50 UTC 2012

> == Aeolus solution, bundler_ext [2]
>
> * Dependencies resolution is unaffected so 'bundle install' cannot
> be used to install development dependencies, it would ignore
> rpm-gems and install gems from gem-repo.
> * If bundler_ext is used for setup development environment, control
> over which versions are required is lost (requiring is not done by
> bundler)
> * It affects only how requirements are loaded [1], it's useful only
> for deployment.
> * (We could use it in deployment to get rid of bundler, but that is
> out of this discussion's scope see Goal.2)

I wonder if there is another solution:

== Get rid of the bundler

Make a patch to our application adding all required "require" statements
so we can safely delete Gemfile and Gemfile.lock, start up Rails and it
will work. Only for production of course.

During our discussion with Bundler author, he said this is the preferred
solution. I wonder if we need to use Bundler in production at all.

Currently the only issue is we load all the gemfiles with Bundler and we
do not put require statements in the individual source files.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine