[katello-devel] Katello upgrade and Puppet

Mike Orazi morazi at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 14:40:50 UTC 2012

On 12/07/2012 04:50 AM, Petr Chalupa wrote:

> On 05.12.12 16:33, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> recent Petr's changes showed that katello-upgrade does not play well
>> with puppet. We have touched this issue several times now:
>>
>> - change touches a puppet template
>> - katello upgrade does this then:
>>    - stops services
>>    - executes our upgrade scripts
>>    - migrates databases
>>    - redeploys puppet (katello-configure)
>>
>> When the change in a puppet template is not compatible (e.g. some
>> refactoring), migration fails because Katello won't boot with this
>> (wrong) configuration since codebase was already upgraded with yum.
>> We need to create an upgrade script that somehow corrects the
>> configuration file until it's redeployed via katello configure.
>>
>> Two solutions I see:
>>
>> 1) Call puppet to only deploy configuration files and make this as a
>> first step before anything happens. I have been discussing this with
>> Foreman devs little while back, there are some features of puppet we
>> could use for this but this is not how they should be used. Also seems
>> to be "hacky".
>
> I would look into this one, because it would fix the problem with old
> config for me and I could merge configuration cleanup.
>
>> 2) Have full upgrade process in puppet. Very challenging, I can't really
>> believe this is even doable - we need to deploy configuration, then
>> execute some steps in particular order, then restart services. One big
>> disadvantage is the upgrade process cannot be interactive anymore I
>> believe - just fire and wait.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>

> Anyway I think we have issues with katello-configuration and
> katello-upgrade too often. Maybe we should spend some tome on finding a
> better solution.

Please keep the updates flowing for any big changes to
katello-configuration/upgrade as the aeolus variants try to seem
somewhat similar so that folks who use both have some amount of
similarity with the configuration & upgrade cycle on both projects.

I've cc:ed a few folks involved in configure/upgrade on the aeolus side
who might have some input regarding the problems you are facing
presently or would probably like to be involved in any ongoing
conversations involving fundamental changes to configuration and
updating of the applications.

Thanks,
Mike