[katello-devel] Katello Backend Service Relationships and Architecture

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 11:35:30 UTC 2012

On 12.12.12 16:11, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 03:49:17PM +0100, Petr Chalupa wrote:
>> If you have any additional questions about the Foreman please send
>> me an email and I'll prepare answers for deep dive tomorrow.
>
> I am the most interested in comparing the Foreman and our current
> approach among each other. Benefits, drawbacks, differences.

This is how I see it, I hope its comprehensive. Please comment if I've
missed something.

## Benefits

By introducing other layer of objects to represent remote resources
we've got:
- less fat models
- better responsibility separation
- objects to talk to when crud operations are needed on a remote
resource (e.g. Foreman::ArchitectureController and its Api relative are
doing that)
- Resources::AbstractModel is prepared to usage in other back-ends (if
we decide to use it)

## Drawbacks

- additional layer which is not present in other backends - inconsistency
- headpin packaging (I am not exactly sure what went wrong there.)

## Differences

I am not aware of any other differences than the ones I've mentioned in
previous email.