[katello-devel] move action buttons at bottom of right pane to top?

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 18:24:39 UTC 2012

On 02/06/2012 11:32 AM, Jason Rist wrote:
> On Mon 06 Feb 2012 09:22:39 AM MST, Tom McKay wrote:
>> There are several places in UI where action buttons in the right pane are located at the bottom; can they be moved to the top? (see attached png)
>>
>> By being placed at the bottom they are
>> 1) Difficult to notice if bottom of page is not visible (very common in my browser size)
>> 2) All other actions have north gravity (eg. close, remove, etc.), why are these different?
>> 3) It de-emphasizes their importance by "hiding" them (which is entirely incorrect as they are crucial)
>>
>> Clicking one of these action buttons slides a pane upwards; this would probably need to change to sliding it down.
>>
>> Thoughts?

> Moving to the top wouldn't be crazy. I think it would effect how some
> of the dropdowns work, so it wouldn't be super simple.  I can't seem to
> recall why we had them at the bottom, but I think there was a reason.
>
> -J

I agree moving to the top wouldn't be crazy... I think I'd like to see
'mock-up' of it even if that just means some creative cut and paste work
of a screenshot.  We originally went with the bottom because the top
already had a purpose (the breadcrumbs workflow) and the bottom seemed
to help encapsulate it as a whole widget.  And originally we
conceptualized that has being able to have 0-* number of buttons which
meant growing from the bottom was easier.  The work to put them more
towards the top shouldn't be too much but I'd like to 'see' it before
making the switch.

Tom - can you send a screenshot of your typical browser viewport?

Eric