[katello-devel] Unique product names in CP

Devan Goodwin dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca
Wed Feb 8 16:39:42 UTC 2012

This part of Candlepin is coming from initially designing for hosted
products which are global in nature and that's likely why we added
this uniqueness constraint.

I don't see any real problem with removing it on the product name,
aside from the fact that an org could make two products with the same
name and in a lot of UI locations, would be unable to tell the
difference. (unless Katello enforces product name uniqueness per org,
which I guess it probably should)

A much larger possible solution is getting Candlepin's products
per-org, but this is likely a very big rats nest on our part, so we're
hoping this solution works, and Katello can do the needful in terms of
tracking orgs and their custom products.

I would file a bug and harass us/BK if it's an urgent change.

Cheers,

Devan