[katello-devel] async manifest import

Tom McKay thomasmckay at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 19:44:03 UTC 2012

Several questions have come up during my work of integrating the async manifest import into the two-pane subscriptions. I don't think import can be considered complete before they are answered:

First, there is a disconnect between when the import finishes and when the notices popup indicating success/failure. It may be beneficial to move the notice code from the async thread up into katello proper, allowing the UI to show the notice on its own query schedule.

Second, and more importantly, there are probably many pages that should have their functionality limited or disabled while a manifest is being imported: Should any subscriptions be shown? Should a subscription be allowed to be applied to a system or activation key? What about repository enabling?

There are good reasons we've made the manifest import async, but there are many reasons to lock down the interface while it is going on.