[katello-devel] where to get required katello gems

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Mon Jul 16 14:23:59 UTC 2012

The issue is not about how to work with bundler. If we package all the
build deps as RPMs, we dont need bundler anymore. So installing
development setup would be just like installing one metapackage via yum.
That's it. And we are not far from that!

Rubygems in Red Hat's world are evil. Just like JAR files. Our customer
do deliver using RPMs. We should do the same. I can understand it is
very comfortable to have ability to run rvm or bunlder, but this is
fight that every developer must do its own. Especially those with MacOS
;-)

My point is - instead of providing rubygem repos or fighting with
bundler configurations, let's just package devel only dependencies as
RPMs so devs can install them just like any other software they use. And
then handle bunlder the usual way (deleting lock file, generating lock
file in RPM post trans script, every team has its own way).

Bundler is something we don't need. Actually, it's an obstacle we should
rather get rid of. JBoss folks could tell stories (Maven)...

LZ