[katello-devel] where to get required katello gems

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 08:03:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 07:48:18AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> >Anyway, obviously Katello upstream is free to do what it wants, but I
> >believe Aeolus is going to move away from knee-jerk RPM packaging and
> >instead plan to package our upstream releases as tarball + gems +
> >Gemfile, as you would expect a Ruby project to do.
>
> What about the backend engines, Image Factory et al?

Yeah it does not make sense to package development setup as a tarball
while there is still big portion of the system that is needed. But I can
imagine one can run katello locally while having backend engines on
other machine, but for development perhaps.

Source tarballs will be released as parts of SRPMs, some teams release
them also in plain format, but I don't think this is necessary in our
case. Developers are using git and users do not want to run production
systems from Gemfile. There's this need of runninig all the backend
engines, it does not make sense to me.

Let me ask the team - what was to original reason for creating our own
gemrepo? I guess we were missing some gems on rubygems.org right?

Once we change to koji, do we still need to maintain this repo? Can't we
just switch back to rubygems.org so pure ruby developers can still use
it?

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine