[katello-devel] Promotions UI - looking for input on naming

Cliff Perry cperry at redhat.com
Fri Jul 20 17:37:01 UTC 2012

On 07/20/2012 12:17 PM, Brad Buckingham wrote:
> You all are awesome! Appreciate the quick feedback.
>
> I am going to let the thread go for additional inputs until early next
> week; however, I also lean
> towards the latest suggestion, which I believe captures most folks intent.
>
> i.e.
>
> Content -> Changeset Management -> Changesets
>
> Content -> Changeset Management -> Changesets History (This one also
> exists in the UI. It was not in my original email, but does show that we
> need to have the 3rd level).

I like those ^^^

> Cliff,
>
> To your earlier question on thread, the new feature is not a demotion of
> content but an actual deletion of the content from the current
> environment. Example scenario:
> - user goes to the Changesets page (aka Promotions today)
> - navigates to an environment (e.g. Dev)
> - creates a Deletion Changeset
> - adds content to the Changeset (e.g. products, repos, packages...etc)
> - user 'applies' the Changeset (and content in changeset is deleted from
> that environment)
> - any environment before or after that environment remain unchanged

I find it inconsistent that the package/content could be further up the
environment path... but that is not what is being asked for here :)

Well...
Library holds all content, content in environments has to be in library.
When you populate content into an environment, we call it today a
'promotion'. Well, that promotion today ADDs content, it is an addition,
that we choose to give a fancier word, Promotion. So, when you delete
the content from the 'DEV' environment, shouldn't we give it the same
fancier word - demotion. It is the same net-effect, the package is
removed (removed/deleted/demoted/foreclosed) . :)

I'm not a UDX type guy. I just think the terminology should be
consistent and won't argue the point further in this thread (I given the
input which was asked ;)

Cliff