[katello-devel] Why #!/usr/bin/env ?

Jordan OMara jomara at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 19:37:43 UTC 2012

On 23/07/12 21:35 +0200, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
>Why do you guys prefer #!/usr/bin/env ?
>
>I seen it twice in today pull requests and git grep show me it is
>used several times in our code.
>
>I understand it may put in game e.g /usr/local/bin/ with locally
>compiled python/ruby. But is it what we want? Do we guarantee, that
>our code will work with locally modified version of python/ruby?
>
>I always used plain #!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/bin/ruby as it gives
>me more control and less bug reports.
>
>Mirek

I actually had a stranger from the internet make a pull request on one
of my random github projects and correct a ruby script from
#!/usr/bin/ruby -> #!/usr/bin/env ruby ; the same way we have it in
our scripts. I'm curious as well
--
Jordan O'Mara <jomara at redhat.com>
Red Hat Engineering, Raleigh