[katello-devel] katello-upgrade restarting services

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 13:57:31 UTC 2012

On 07/24/2012 09:42 AM, Jordan OMara wrote:
> On 24/07/12 09:36 -0400, Sam Kottler wrote:
>> How about checking if the service is running and then reacting based on
>> that. If the service is running then katello-upgrade command will
>> exit and
>> alert the sysadmin that he/she should stop the service. If not, then
>> upgrade can continue.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> This is exactly the current (pre-pull request) behavior
>
> The patched behavior is to check, notify and then ask if they want the
> script to stop the services for them. If they select N, it exits

I wasn't a big fan of the behaviour (actually i thought it stunk).   I
like the script asking to stop the services and doing it for you, but if
we don't like that I would at least ask for the following:

a)  Have the script print out ALL services that are still running.
Currently it would just print out one until you stopped that one, and
then would print out the 2nd, etc...   When you have 5+ init scripts
this is extremely annoying.

b)  Have the script print out the commands to stop the running
services.  Something like:

The following services are running and need to be stopped:   tomcat6
katello-jobs
Please run the following commands to stop them:
      service tomcat6 stop
      service katello-jobs stop

To me that would go a long way to fixing the annoyances without having
to have the script reliably stop all the services.

-Justin