[katello-devel] Improving Aeolus + Katello integration

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 15:13:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 06:57:08PM +0200, Ivan Nečas wrote:

> With funzo, we're trying to figure out how the Aeolus + Katello could
> better integrate together.
>
> The templates in Katello are going to be replaced with component outlines. In
> discussion about Foreman integration, it was not mentioned, that the
> Compontent Outline will contain the list of packages (System Template
> like we know it today has it). This is not required by Foreman (Foreman
> solves it with Puppet), but Aeolus is able to take the list of
> packages and install it into the built image, if I understand it
> correctly. Was it meant to be this way, or we just skipped it when
> talking about Foreman. It seems quite valuable Aeolus feature to me.

Yeah, users do want to be able to do image based provisioning, in some
cases with quite complex images. In fact I was discussing with Ian
Mcleod the other day the idea that Factory might need to grow the
ability to invoke Puppet after it finishes running the native
installer when building the image (or running scripts on a pre-build
JEOS).

Another option, quite seriously, would be to look at having Factory
use Puppet to resolve package requirements just as Foreman
does. Historically we have shied away from this approach because RPM
should take care of packaging requirements... but if we want to build
something that isn't RPM based, well, that won't work. Factory guys,
any thoughts?

> Another thing to solve is how to call back to Katello after the
> instance was deployed by Aeolus (if we're not satisfied with the
> current status of setting the script manually in deployable, which I
> guess we're not). It seems for now that Audrey is the only way how to
> run some scripts after the image was deployed. Will there we some other
> way for running scripts after deployment in Cloud Engine. If not, it
> seems that we will need to run Audrey and Puppet side by side. Maybe
> it's ok, just asking, if its acceptable  to have two config servers run
> against the same machine?

There's some interesting work going on with cloud-init that may
eliminate the Audrey requirement. Joe Vlcek is driving that, we might
check with him.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey