[katello-devel] Info: rubygem-popen incompatibility

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 10:09:10 UTC 2012

Hello,

if you are not using Katello on RHEL (or clones), please disregard. The
following is meant for developers who rebuild Katello on RHEL 6.2.

Today I have discovered there is some incompatibility between our
dependency rubygem-popen which we provide in our repos. Due to some ABI
change between RHEL 6.2 and RHEL 6.3 binary packages cannot be moved
from one system to other. If you try *rebuild* Katello on RHEL 6.2, you
will get a SEGFAULT during "jammit" step due to wrong ABI of the POpen4
function.

Please note you can still *install* and run Katello on RHEL 6.2. The
issue is during build phase, runtime does not use POpen4 function as far
as I know.

Our new koji builder builds on RHEL 6.3, so it is recommended to use
Katello on RHEL 6.3+.

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine