[katello-devel] Why #!/usr/bin/env ?

Jan Pazdziora jpazdziora at redhat.com
Wed Jul 25 12:49:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 02:24:41PM +0200, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 07/24/2012 12:45 PM, James Bowes wrote:
> >I've always enjoyed simply supporting as many python versions as
> >possible from a single code base. It makes for a delightful intellectual
> >exercise.
>
> Tell that to GSS.

Clearly, the upstream should be runnable on any combination of
anything, for the purpose of developer setup games, but once you
start building packages for particular distribution, be it RHEL
or Fedora, those packages should have a clear dependency on other
things in that OS distribution.

The best solution seems to be to

	s%^#!/usr/bin/env\s(\S+)%#!/usr/bin/$1%

in rpm build time so that in rpm-based installations, you know what
ruby / python / whatever you are using and there are no nasty
surprises.

--
Jan Pazdziora