[katello-devel] Github Pull Request Test Process

James Bowes jbowes at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 11:53:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 02:10:17PM -0600, Jason Rist wrote:
> On Wed 13 Jun 2012 12:47:46 PM MDT, Adrian Likins wrote:
> >On 06/13/2012 01:49 PM, Jason Rist wrote:
> >>Hey All - Here's the wiki page I've been meaning to put together
> >>for reviewing pull requests:
> >>https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/GitHubPullRequestProcess
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >
> >I would probably add a note about using 'hub' from
> >https://github.com/defunkt/hub
> >
> >Maybe something like:
> >

> >Hub
> >
> >"hub is a command line tool that wraps git in order to extend it
> >with extra
> >features and commands that make working with GitHub easier."
> >
> >With 'hub', to checkout out a branch for a pull request is:

> >The suggested config wraps git, so it could actually be:

> >It will add the right remote if needed, fetch, and checkout the branch
> >with a name like "candlepin-alikins/830949".
> >
> >It also has some support for creating a pull request from a branch, and
> >merging pull request from the cli.
> >
> >git merge https://github.com/defunkt/hub/pull/73
> >
> >It requires a newer version of git than is available in RHEL6, but there
> >is a branch at https://github.com/alikins/hub to better work with RHEL6.
> >
> >Adrian
>
> Yeah, you had mentioned that in a previous chat - totally open to
> using this, but I wanted to get the basics down.  I'll add this to
> the wiki.  Thanks!

We've been pushing our branches into the main candlepin repo for
review. Typically you'd see a branch like
"jbowes/unbreak-manifests-oops" in candlepin/candlepin.git. That way,
nobody has to worry too much about managing all their remotes. Once the
pull-request is closed, the branch creator can delete it.