[katello-devel] pulp 1.1 will disallow i18n names for repos... what does that mean for Katello???

Lukas Zapletal lzap at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 11:27:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 11:15:45AM -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I dunno, I might prefer that if i can get the org and product names
> to be in my native language.
>
> Thoughts?

Most of latin (and maybe other groups) characters has "decomposition"
pair in the UNICODE. Some years ago, I wrote a Java bit that was
converting those into decomposed strings, for all the other characters
(Greek, Chinese...) I used hexcode encoding.

Example character is LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH OGONEK:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/105/index.htm

It's decomposed format is LATIN SMALL LETTER A:

http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0061/index.htm

This works for many languages which use latin characters. With this, we
can cover big portion of world to have nice-formatted names.
Unfortunately, Chinese does not fit here, but I cannot imagine nice
textual encoding for Chinese characters.

Example (for those with UTF-8 ready MUAs):

repozitář_Lukáš_Zapletal -> repozitar_Lukas_Zapletal

repo_験 -> repo_63A9

It definitely does not solve this, but gives nicer names for those
people with latin alphabets :-)

 Lukas "lzap" Zapletal
 #katello #systemengine