[katello-devel] Katello-Foreman-Aeolus Integration

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 12:53:12 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 08:45 AM, Ohad Levy wrote:
> On 06/27/2012 03:07 PM, Chris Alfonso wrote:

>>> One major difference, is the ability to manage the system in the long
>>> term as well, so its not really just about launching it, rather
>>> managing its configuration for the whole system life cycle.
>>>
>>> other side benefits, is to manage stuff you need in your enterprise
>>> but dont need on a common cloud, things like ip address management,
>>> dns, dhcp, automation of puppet certificates, status
>>> reporting,inventory auditing etc.
>> These are core foreman capabilities offered in the latest code base and
>> not necessarily features that will be integrated with katello or
>> conductor. In other words, a user would go directly to foreman to manage
>> these features, correct?
>
> While I personally don't mind, I think the goal is that users don't
> login directly into foreman, rather we expose it via CE/SE.
>
> I would expect a lot of these features showing up in Katello, and for
> the record, you can't easily provision lots of system in rhevm via CE
> without dns and ip management support ( or at least subnets / networking).

Agree... the expectation is that Katello provides a light unification
layer over foreman, pulp, and candlepin. I would expect two things:

1) all the heavy lifting is done in foreman
2) the foreman ui also gets any new features we need in katello. This
means double effort, but gets the features out to the foreman community
for maturity.

-- bk