[katello-devel] Future feature RFC: Package Upload

Pradeep Kilambi pkilambi at redhat.com
Wed Mar 21 13:17:35 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 08:59 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 03/20/2012 01:30 PM, Todd Sanders wrote:
>> 1. Let's not reinvent the wheel here, the heavy lifting has already been
>> done in Pulp.  We should expose the same set of functionality that Pulp
>> provides with regards to package uploads via it's cli.  See:
>> http://pulpproject.org/ug/UGContent.html#upload
>
> Hmm, but Pulp upload packages using POST. Have you you benchmarked how
> long it will take you to upload 2GB Oracle server rpm? And how much
> data over those 2GB you have to transfer?

Pulp already does a PUT.  The initial init call is a POST which
initializes the upload id, then any data thats being send across to
write to the upload file is a PUT.

Step 1:
https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/UGREST-Services#InitiateFileUpload

Step 2: https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/UGREST-Services#AppendFileUpload

Step 3: https://fedorahosted.org/pulp/wiki/UGREST-Services#ImportFileUpload

the second step is where the bits are transmitted, and its already a PUT.

~ Prad