[katello-devel] Hung Sync & Grinder change to abort in the future

John Matthews jmatthew at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 19:48:15 UTC 2012

During Katello testing a situation was seen where download of a package through grinder was hung for over a day.
The root cause of the issue appears to be a problem on the remote server, it is keeping the socket open but not sending any data, resulting in grinder stuck in an infinite poll loop.

We made a change to grinder which should avoid a hang up in the future.

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=grinder.git;a=commitdiff;h=c8ee8d94c566c3b68b17664647e8a19c50094f5d

This change will leverage 2 options in curl, LOW_SPEED_LIMIT and LOW_SPEED_TIME.
If during a 5 minute period we have received less than 1000 bytes we will assume a connection error and abort the transfer.