[katello-devel] (Another) System Group permissions question

Justin Sherrill jsherril at redhat.com
Wed May 16 13:28:30 UTC 2012

On 05/16/2012 04:24 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Variation C looks like the easiest path, but I am not sure if I
> understand system group vs environment association correctly. Do we have
> more doco about this?
https://www.redhat.com/archives/katello-devel/2012-May/msg00009.html

By going with C  you'd basically be saying that some user Fred with
:update can only add systems within Environments A or B.  But if fred
wants to he can just change the environments thus removing the
restricution all together. Which gets to the real question: What's the
goal of this environment locking?

i) To restrict what systems users can add to a system group

ii) A convenience factor in helping organize groups

If the goal is i), then C does not make sense.  If the goal is ii), then
C should be fine.  All three solutions are fairly trivial to implement.

-Justin