[katello-devel] Commit/Review ideas

Partha Aji paji at redhat.com
Tue May 22 20:20:39 UTC 2012

I was reading this article https://github.com/blog/1124-how-we-use-pull-requests-to-build-github and been chatting about this with some of the developers. I wonder if the time has come to apply the "Open a Pull Request as early as possible" idea across the board in our commit process.
Previously I would open a pull request only when the code is ready to be merged to master. Problem with this is sometimes the amount of code to review can get pretty large for some of our feature branches. Also it will not necessarily be a good review since we could easily miss out important prickly needles in the haystack that we would have corrected in small chunks.
With "Open a Pull Request as early as possible" approach you 'd have a note saying "do not merge yet but comment on what I have so far" and then when ready to merge you 'd say "please go ahead". I wonder if for some of our feature based branches we should start taking this approach. With this approach in a typical feature based branch, you could for example get a review when you are doing your model.. You 'll get a second look when you are doing controllers/cli work etc. And you 'll be able to spot issues earlier. By the time the feature is ready to be merged to master we'll have a much better coverage and acceptance to master would be an easier task.

Partha