[katello-devel] Proposal - moving katello.org and wiki to github pages

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Tue Nov 6 14:51:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

I would like to start discussion about moving katello.org and wiki to
one place, to github pages.

How:
- use jekyll [10] to generate katello.org
- move whole wiki to Katello/katello master branch and generate the doc
with Yard [1]
- after everything is generated publish it on github pages

See demo [5] generated by a simple tool I've already written [4]

[1] http://yardoc.org/
[4] https://github.com/pitr-ch/katello/tree/gh-pages/generator
[5] http://blog.pitr.ch/katello/
[10] https://github.com/mojombo/jekyll

Some answers to already asked questions:

 > paraphrasing lzap: wiki is more user-friendly

If `yard server --reload` is used, changes made in documentation files
are shown after hitting reload in browser (it even picks up changes made
in .yardopts), which I think is almost as easy as wiki edit button and
preview on wiki.

 > paraphrasing lzap: running jekyll locally vs on github sometimes differ

There is list of options how jekyll is set on github, it's buried
somewhere on github-pages help, did you try them? Or we could generate
the static content locally and push it.

Petr