[katello-devel] Proposal: Feature Tracking and Release Planning

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 14:45:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:36:21AM -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> On 11/12/2012 09:31 AM, Ivan Nečas wrote:
> >
> >>Counter Proposal:
> >>
> >>Mirek had already suggested a release schedule for he communtiy. Lets
> >>put that list on the wiki some place, and fill in what we think will
> >>be in the "next" item.
> >>
> >>We can then add a better backlog page which has longer looking features.
> >>
> >>Finally, folks can documnet on wiki pages the design which has been
> >>agreed upon.
> >>
> >>This seems like it will improve visibility, and not introduce yet
> >>another backlog. This is a "Enforce the rules (tools) you have now,
> >>dont create new onnes"
> >Whatever that we can take a look and see: "ah, this features were
> >released in this release, this are going to be released soon and wow,
> >there are also those features planned. And here is it's design and
> >discussion about that. And this doesn't look right to me, I will comment
> >it".
> >
> >The problem with the wiki is it often ends up in somebody else's problem
> >field.
> >

> IMHO.. Bugzilla, wiki, or git hub issues will all atrophy unless
> taken care of. That is why i am not hip on $SHINY_NEW_TOOL. The
> issue is keeping the content up2date, and publicizing it in a known
> and easy to use fashion.

Not that this matters to you guys, or should matter, but: Aeolus is
slowly moving upstream bug tracking *and* issue management to
github. We've done all right with Redmine for issue tracking, but we
think we'll benefit from the closer linkage between github issues and
the actual pull requests. The dev community felt BZ was too heavy for
upstream bugs, so we moved that to github a while ago.

We will of course continue to use BZ for product issue tracking...

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey