[katello-devel] CLI 3rd level of parameters (cont.)

Eric Helms ehelms at redhat.com
Fri Nov 16 13:27:36 UTC 2012

On 11/16/2012 06:24 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> David,
>
> I noticed you have introduced new level of params. I'd recommend to put
> something on our backlog to review all other cli commands and refactor
> them, I guess we have some actions like:
>
> k one two_three
>
> which should be now
>
> k one two three
>
> LZ

A side effect of David's work on Content Views with regards to the CLI
command structure is that we start to get a bit more parity between the
UI navigational structure and the CLI navigational structure.  This
feels like a big win in so much that no matter what interface you are
using, the path to locate and act on a resource is the same.

For example, if we take the latest sitemap
(https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/Sitemap), for top level Content
in the UI we have:

Subscriptions
Repositories
Sync

Which could map in a parallel fashion with CLI navigation:

katello content subscriptions
katello content repositories
katello content sync
katello content views

While this introduces slightly longer strings that need to be typed, as
we add more and more entities that users have to interact with,
providing this extra bit of structure will help prevent overload and
allow the user to enter a context.  This would further increase the
power (and hopefully drive of users) to use the shell as I could see
entering a top-level navigation from the shell as well:

katello > content
katello (content)> repository
katello (content) (repository) > red_hat import_manifest
katello (content) (repository) > custom create --name=NewRepo
--url=file:///tmp

-Eric