[katello-devel] Proposal - Better Continuous Integration

Petr Chalupa pchalupa at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 13:25:45 UTC 2012

I think we should spend some time on getting better continuous
integration. Travis is great but I think we need more than just Unit tests.

What I would like to see for each pull-request to be run
- all unit tests
- building of rpms
- running katello-configure
- running system-tests (smoke tests)

It would be also nice to have other thinks checked:
- number of chars per line
- pylint
- afaik there is some script to check gettext strings

## Benefits

- a developer doesn't have to run these tests locally (which takes time)
until he is notified that something actually broke
- master will be much more stable, bugs are solved in pull-requests by
theirs authors (faster), also bug finding scope is given by introduced
changes (because master is fine)
- more stable nightly because master is stable
- less time spend on testing, bug-finding and nightly-fixing by developers

I think we should pay more attention to this and add story for next
sprint to get it fixed.

"As a developer I would really like to have CI for each pull-request."

Petr