[katello-devel] Pulp warning: Unsupported characters for Yum

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Tue Oct 2 22:00:10 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 02:02 AM, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
> Hey,
>
> during pulp migration I can see this warning:
>
> ID for repositories [] contains characters which are not supported by
> Yum as a repository title in a '.repo' file.
> Because of this, you may see an error when installing a package from
> these repositories on a consumer. You can either
> manually update consumer's .repo file to update title, or delete and
> create a new repository that follows new ID restriction.
> Repository ID may now contain only numbers(0-9), upper and lower case
> letters(A-Z, a-z), hyphens(-), underscore(_) and periods(.)
>
> What is our strategy for CFSE here (particulary 1.0 to 1.1)? Should we
> make a doco bug? What is the recommended approach? Does
> subscription-manager takes care of it automatically?

we attempted to solve this with the series of bugs around adding labels
to Orgs/Envs/Products/Repos:

https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/ObjectLabelDesign#Yum

the Object Labeling solves it for new objects we create but for existing
repositories with orgs/envs/products/repos with UTF8 characters we are
out of luck because Pulp does *not* let you change the ID of the repo.
We won't be able to migrate these over to the new scheme with a simple
upgrade.

We may need to look into doing as pulp states above where we delete old
repos and recreate with the new label.  This will cause some pain
because they will need to get re-synced and re-promoted ... a fairly
annoying problem that I'm looking into currently.

Mike