[katello-devel] Content Views Content Structure Decision

Mike McCune mmccune at redhat.com
Thu Oct 11 20:55:08 UTC 2012

On 10/11/2012 01:35 PM, Kyle Baker wrote:
> One decision that has been left up in the air for Content Views is whether the content has to be in the context of a definition or can it be promoted separately. This could mean that there is a default definition that houses all of the content similar to the library. I'm not sure if there are usecases to sway this either way. Any thoughts?

for the first pass we are going to support promoting content into an
environment in the same way you do now and systems do not need to be
associated directly to a view.  Content Views will be an additional
specification you can use either with an Activation Key or possibly with
an additional flag in RHSM, eg: --contentview. If none is specified you
get the system registered to the environment just as you do now and the
system sees what we are calling the 'Default View':

https://fedorahosted.org/katello/wiki/ContentViews#Definitions

Eventually we may decide that Content Views are the one and only way to
represent content to a system and we end up no longer supporting
promotion of content through the standard mechanism we do now.

Does that help?
Mike

--
Mike McCune