[katello-devel] Bootstrapping katello

Ivan Nečas inecas at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 06:15:49 UTC 2012

On 10/23/2012 01:08 AM, David Davis wrote:
> Typically in Rails and Ruby projects, there's a boostrap rake task that'll take care of setting up the project so you can develop it and/or run it. I figured it might be worthwhile to set up something similar for Katello after some recent problems people have been experiencing. Not only will it appeal to Ruby/Rails developers but it might also make it easier for us to setup development instances of Katello. In addition, I think it might be easier to maintain than the wiki page and we could also allow for custom logic in the boostrap task in order to support different ways of setting up katello. To illustrate this last point, you could have some tasks like:
>
> rake bootstrap
> rake bootstrap:pulpv2
> rake bootstrap:sam
> (and so forth)
>
> Anyway, I've worked on a rough draft (http://fpaste.org/HwRc/). The hope is that in order to setup a new project for development, one would just have to run:
>
> git clone --recursive git at github.com:daviddavis/katello.git
> cd katello/src
> bundle install
> rake bootstrap
>
> Let me know what you all think. Thanks!
If you don't insist on the rake task, I thing this does what you had in
mind https://github.com/Katello/katello/pull/894 . IMO it needs to be
run before the bundle install (in fact it's good to run bundle install
from the script, making sure the development dependencies are met. This
script bases the installation on katello-configure which lets us to have
the basic installation on one place and have it maintained (since
katello-configure is tested on daily basis)

-- Ivan

> David

Ivan